How to write the education section of your CV
The education section is usually the most straight forward section to write, and rarely needs much adjustment. However, that's not to say you shouldn't use it as an opportunity to highlight your suitability when you can.
As an example, if a job requires knowledge of specific geological regions or environments, or you've conducted research that is directly related to the company's activities, then this is a great opportunity to show off any applicable or transferable skills that could benefit the company.
Deciding what's relevant
Here are some tips:
- List your most recent achievement first.
- Don't include your schooling information if you have achieved a bachelor's degree or higher. Do include it if you are yet to graduate.
- Don't bother including your grade if it has been over 3 years since your graduation, unless the employer specifically asks for it. And only include them if they are exceptional.
- Don't mention any involvement in clubs or societies that are political, religious or controversial.
- Only include schooling achievements if it has been less than 3 years since graduation.
- If you attended a university course, but did not graduate, mention how many credits you obtained towards the degree, and the dates you attended.
- If it's been more than 15 years since you graduated, remove the dates you attended from the CV. Unfortunately, age discrimination can still exist.
Applicant Tracking System considerations
For this section, we've taken some of the most relevant tips from our article on how to make your CV ATS-friendly:
- Don't use tables or text boxes;
- Don't use fancy icons or bullets;
- Don't list dates first. Position dates to the right of the document.
Instead of using tables to align dates on the right-hand-side of the document, try using tab stops. This is a great way to keep the document ATS friendly, at the same time as making it more appealing to the human eye.
Free ATS friendly CV template
Improve your CV with Rockstaff's free course and receive an ATS-optimised CV template!
Have you followed us yet?
We also share new vacancies on social media so that you never miss an opportunity!