This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic Senior/Principal Engineer or Scientist with an interest in flood risk management and drainage design to further their career by developing and expanding the Surface Water Section at our client's head office near Warrington (Colchester and Nottingham locations also optional).
As well as managing their own projects, the successful candidate will be a key contributor to a wide range of multidisciplinary projects undertaken by our client in the residential, commercial, industrial, infrastructure, extractive & waste management sectors; including an increasing number of overseas projects.
The ideal candidate will have excellent inter-personal skills with good leadership potential and be able to communicate effectively with other project managers in the company. The role will include delivery of the following;
- Flood risk assessments in accordance with local and national policy and guidance;
- Surface & foul water management plans and drainage designs using software design packages;
- Detailed drainage design drawings and specifications including use of GIS & CAD software; liaison with the CAD team as appropriate;
- Resolution of engineering issues identified during planning and permit applications, supporting clients in gaining the necessary approvals;
- Construction support including input to method statements, dealing with queries from site and supervision;
- Design of Surface Water Management systems on major waste facility and quarry developments in the UK and the Middle East;
- Development of project costings including materials quantities & specifications ;
- Input to multidisciplinary projects managed by others within the company;
- Internal Project Management: preparation of quotations, project planning, financial control and Invoicing;
- Mentoring of junior staff and technical review / QA of work from the team;
- Complying with Designer Duties under the CDM regulations;
- Liaising with Public and Private Sector Clients, internal Project Managers, Third Party Organisations and Stakeholders;
Qualifications & Experience
- Relevant degree in civil, water or environmental engineering or equivalent;
- Chartered or working towards Chartership;
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant post-graduate experience, 3 years of which should be in a similar drainage role;
- Good, practical understanding of hydrology and hydraulic modelling (fluvial and sewer);
- Detailed knowledge of drainage design including Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems;
- Working knowledge of relevant UK codes of practice;
- Experience of WinDes Micro Drainage design software;
- Strong business development skills, networking ability and involvement in wider industry forums, with the appropriate experience and contacts;
- UK driving license.
Other areas of expertise which would be advantageous include use of CAD software, waste water treatment design, arid and/or tropical environment hydrology & drainage, flood management/flood defence, interpretation of geotechnical reports and business development.
Our client is a successful, dynamic and expanding medium sized consultancy which provides comprehensive, innovative, geotechnical and geoenvironmental expertise to the building, civil engineering and waste management industries; including the development of brownfield land. They provide consultancy, design and construction supervision services for all stages of projects from initial conceptual studies through to end delivery of schemes and long term maintenance and monitoring of permitted facilities. They aim to hire the best people in the business from the perspective of both technical skills and commercial acumen, and are seeking a candidate with strong interpersonal skills, an excellent attitude, creative flair and an ability to innovate in their market place.
They offer a friendly working environment, 25 days holiday per year and a competitive salary.
The client operates quality management procedures and a quality and environmental management system to BS EN ISO 9001 and 14001 certification respectively.They are an equal opportunities employer.